Posted on 1 Comment

Weeping Angel doll

Jen found a tutorial on how to make a Weeping Angel tree topper, and with Impossible Astronaut Day tomorrow, it seemed appropriate to put up Jen’s step-by-step.  The original tutorial can be found here.

This crafting adventure started with a Barbie doll from eBay. 163544_980685726236_68620664_n
Her hair was promptly chopped off.  IMG_2166IMG_2165
I took the remaining bits of hair out with a pair of tweezers. Now Barbie is bald. IMG_2167
The next step was to cut off her legs. This particular doll had articulated joints, so it was easy to cut the elastic that was holding the legs on. IMG_2169
The next step was to make the hair. I used an air-dry clay, easily located at any craft supply store. This enabled me to really work the clay the way I wanted to. And I kept a bowl of water nearby to keep the clay moist while working with it. IMG_2211
I used a seam ripper for the line detail on the hair. IMG_2212IMG_2213IMG_2214
The next step was to attach the body of the doll to a Dasani water bottle. Cut off the neck and bottom, and use packing tape to secure it in place. IMG_2215
I then cut Barbie’s arms and remolded them, using the air-dry clay, into bent elbows. IMG_2216
Next, I put a combination of paper towels and plastic bags inside the bottle, to provide stability. IMG_2217
Now it’s time to make the skirt. I used sections of the air-dry clay, building up the layers until the entire bottle was covered. To get the flowing skirt effect, I took extra clay and put it on top of the base skirt, then blended the edges down. IMG_2218
Here’s a closeup of all four sides. IMG_2222IMG_2221IMG_2220IMG_2219
While waiting for the air-dry clay to dry (this takes about 24 hours with all the clay you’ll be using for the skirt), I went ahead and started work on the wings. For the wings, I used oven-bake clay, as the tutorial suggested. IMG_2223
I used a toothpick and followed the pattern I drew, which you can download here. IMG_2224
Left wing, cut out and trimmed up. I put an extra piece of clay along the top of the wing, like I did for the folds in the skirt, to give it a little more depth. IMG_2225
Here are both wings, before going in the oven. IMG_2226
Here are both wings, after being in the oven. IMG_2228
Here’s the bun, which I made seperately. It’s all dried. IMG_2229
As the skirt dried, I noticed cracks. This is because I didn’t use enough clay in those places. IMG_2231
More air-dry clay to the rescue! IMG_2230
Once the skirt was dry and crack-free, I started on the shirt. Using a similar technique as the skirt, I put extra clay for the folds and blousing of the top. This picture illustrates the before of the blousing. IMG_2241
And this is after everything was blended together. IMG_2242
All the clay on the doll, and drying. IMG_2243
All dry, and a closeup of the shirt. I used a toothpick to add the line for the shirt and the “bunching” at the neckline. For the fabric folds, I used the same technique I used on the skirt. I also added a thin layer of air-dry clay to Barbie’s face to help obscure her features. IMG_2245
Now we’re ready for hot glue! I was a little skeptical, but the hot glue has worked beautifully. This is the bun, hot glued to the hair. IMG_2250
Now the wings are hot glued on. IMG_2251
The last unpainted view, from the front. IMG_2252
All painted! I mixed black and white acrylic, with a color called “bleached sand”, which has just a hint of yellow. Once I got the base grey I wanted, I dry brushed a slightly lighter grey to give an older and weathered look. The first photo is with the flash, the second photo is without.

So that’s it. The plan is to put this on display somewhere, and not on top of a Christmas tree, so if someone does that, let me know how it turns out! And remember, don’t blink.

1 thought on “Weeping Angel doll

  1. oh my gosh, I would never stop looking at my tree again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.